Monastery Pavlovac
Monastery Pavlovac

Serbian Medieval
Monastery Pavlovac


Monastery Pavlovac is located in the foothills of the mounatian Kosmaj, only seven kilometers from the city of Mladenovac (south of Belgrade). The church of Pavlovac is dedicated to St Nicholas, and it was built on the ruins of the Roman necropolis (graveyard). A Roman stone sarcophagus, decorated with ornaments and few arrows, is still on the site.

In medieval times the monastery was located on the road from Belgrade, over mountain Kosmaj, to Rudnik, and further south to Zica, Pec, Prizren, and Novo Brdo. In the village of Crkvine on the road to Rudnik (called Glava in the old times), a marmor plaque was erected in 1427 to commemorate the death of the Serbian ruler Stefan Lazarevic, who suddenly died at this place.

It is not known who built the monastery nor when it was built, as there are no written documents or folk stories from the time. Turkish records from 16th century only discuss details of the Pavlovac economy. However, a letter (а bill discharge) was sent to Dubrovnik from Pavlovac on November 21st, 1424, by the Serbian ruler Stefan Lazarevic. This fact establishes the latest possible date of the monastery’s establishment. On the other hand, based on the church’s architecture, it is assumed that it was built in the second decade of the 14th century.

The stone church of the monastery is located in the middle of monastery complex, with elongated and condensed trikonhosna base, a single dome, and wall separated nartex. The dome is octagonal, with narrow windows, and placed on a squared base. Altar apse, circular both inside and outside, is lower than the lateral ones that are circular from inside, and polygonal from the outside. The altar apse has a small and narrow single stone window, while the lateral walls of the naos contain four oculuses (two on the lateral apses, and two on the north and south walls of the nave (?). Originally, all the oculuses contained stone perforated rosettes, however, only the one located on the southern wall of the west nave is partially preserved. ‘Tordiran ‘ rope can be seen on the rosette border, as well as few small fragments of the interlaced tapes. The stone portal between the nave and the nartex is well preserved, as well as the original altar table, however, the stone floor tiles are completely destroyed.

The newer age found the monastery in a very damaged state - a falling church roof an almost non-existent dome, a completely destroyed nartex and other monastery buildings, and with only a few fragments of fresco paintings in the church. Located north of the church are the ruins of a one story residential building of the monastery.

South of the church is a partially preserved dining hall with some guest rooms, as well as the kitchen and the storage room. Today, the whole complex has been resorted and very well researched.

LATEST NEWS


STUDENICA
Complete collections of all three churches in Studenica: Presentation of the Holy Virgin, King's, and St Nicholas.

KARAN
The complete collection of the White church of Karan, located in central Serbia near the town of Uzice.

PAVLOVAC
The medieval monastery, built in 1427, is located on the old road from Belgrade to Novo Brdo in Kosovo.



Blago Fund

LOCATION



Monastery Pavlovac is located in central Serbia, some 10km west of Mladenovac.